What we’re looking for: A skilled transportation engineer and planner with broad skillset interested in work on designing and delivering a variety of complete streets planning, urban design, and implementation projects. In this role, the “plangineer” will support and participate in all stages of project development including: business development, project management, research, fieldwork, conducting engineering analyses, and overseeing the production of conceptual drawings, detailed striping and signage plans, and technical plans/reports. We’re aiming to fill this role in either the New York City or Miami office and are aiming to onboard a qualified individual by February or March 2021. Remote work is acceptable but it is expected that the successful candidate will eventually be willing and able to relocate if need be.
- Catalyze long-term street transformations by assisting with the design and implementation of Tactical Urbanism demonstration, pilot, and interim design projects;
- Support Street Plans’ Principals with the development and management of complete streets planning projects (such as citywide bicycle and pedestrian master plans, corridor plans, policy development etc.);
- Lead or contribute to multi-modal traffic studies with an emphasis on moving people, not just vehicles, safely;
- Assist with design and execution of public meetings and workshops;
- Develop data collection and evaluation plans
- Min. 5 years experience contributing to or leading community and key stakeholder engagement efforts, with a minimum of three years managing the planning and implementation of active transportation projects.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in civil or transportation engineering is required; any additional degrees in urban planning, urban design, architecture is a plus but not required.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license; Professional Transportation Operations Engineer (P.T.O.E.) is a plus;
- Experience designing and delivery tactical “quick build” projects is a big plus!
The Plangineer position combines urban and land use planning skills with professional engineering and project management expertise. More specifically, the ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate.
- Interest and passion for multimodal, context-sensitive transportation!
- Capacity for community-facing activities such as in-person and digital workshops, charrettes, community meetings etc.
- Fluency with Google Workspace (Google drive, gmail, sheets, docs etc.)
- Experience in design software (i.e. AutoCAD, MicroStation, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign etc.)
- Experience with traffic analysis using modeling software (Synchro, Auto-Turn, Simtraffic, Vissim, etc.), roadway geometric design software (Civil 3D, GEOPAK or InRoads)
- Non-software traffic engineering tasks (network assessment, crash analysis, safety studies)
- Spanish language a plus!
Salary and Benefits
- $80,000 – $130,000 / yr
- IRA match
- Healthcare stipend
- Monthly transportation stipend
- Annual bonus (amount depends on company and personal performance)
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Paid maternity / paternity leave
- Flexible and relaxed work environment