What we’re looking for: A skilled transportation engineer and planner with broad skillset interested in work on designing and delivering a variety of complete streets planning, urban design, and implementation projects. In this role, the “plangineer” will support and participate in all stages of project development including: business development, project management, research, fieldwork, conducting engineering analyses, and overseeing the production of conceptual drawings, detailed striping and signage plans, and technical plans/reports.
We’re aiming to fill this role in either the New York City or Miami office. Remote work is acceptable but it is expected that the successful candidate will eventually be willing and able to relocate if need be.
- Catalyze long-term street transformations by assisting with the design and implementation of Tactical Urbanism demonstration, pilot, and interim design projects;
- Support Street Plans’ Principals with the development and management of complete streets planning projects (such as citywide bicycle and pedestrian master plans, corridor plans, policy development etc.);
- Lead or contribute to multi-modal traffic studies with an emphasis on moving people, not just vehicles, safely;
- Assist with design and execution of public meetings and workshops;
- Develop data collection and evaluation plans
- Min. 5 years experience contributing to or leading community and key stakeholder engagement efforts, with a minimum of three years managing the planning and implementation of active transportation projects.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in civil or transportation engineering is required; any additional degrees in urban planning, urban design, architecture is a plus but not required.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license; Professional Transportation Operations Engineer (P.T.O.E.) is a plus;
- Experience designing and delivery tactical “quick build” projects is a big plus!
The Plangineer position combines urban and land use planning skills with professional engineering and project management expertise. More specifically, the ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate.
- Interest and passion for multimodal, context-sensitive transportation!
- Capacity for community-facing activities such as in-person and digital workshops, charrettes, community meetings etc.
- Fluency with Google Workspace (Google drive, gmail, sheets, docs etc.)
- Experience in design software (i.e. AutoCAD, MicroStation, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign etc.)
- Experience with traffic analysis using modeling software (Synchro, Auto-Turn, Simtraffic, Vissim, etc.), roadway geometric design software (Civil 3D, GEOPAK or InRoads)
- Non-software traffic engineering tasks (network assessment, crash analysis, safety studies)
- Spanish language a plus!
Salary and Benefits
- $80,000 – $130,000 / yr
- IRA match
- Healthcare stipend
- Monthly transportation stipend
- Annual bonus (amount depends on company and personal performance)
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Paid maternity / paternity leave
- 12 paid holidays off
- 6 additional days off for Winter Break
- Flexible and relaxed work environment
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Plangineer” in the subject of your email. Please include your Resume, Cover Letter, and any relevant work samples you’d like to highlight for this position – and a short description of your favorite street or public space – tell us why you love it in 250 words or less.